Friday, April 5, 2013

Glimpse of life 2



Photo by Genaye Eshetu
I was at the Ethiopian airlines waiting in a long line to check in. I had back pain from standing for almost two hours. If there had been a better service and better structure, there wouldn't be long lines that give people back pain. At same time it is unpleasant opportunity to meet people. I got to meet different people on the line, but one of the girl's story strike me most.

I still wonder how they let that girl with heart case line up with us, pushing all her luggage. She told me that a wheelchair was arranged to her at an airport in Italy, where she came from.   We didn't ask each other’s name, so for this story let’s name her Meri.

Meri is a young girl from Addis, Kaliti area. Her choice of color gave her a very feminine look; purple jacket zipped up to her neck, purple tight, pink luggage of various sizes. She pony tailed her black hair with a tiara to hold it back. My new friend has a pretty face with big eyes that show of her young age and innocence.

Meri went to Italy, 5 years back. She was a 14 year old then, with severe heart pain. The doctors told her that she only has 3 days to live, unless she gets the proper treatment abroad. While following up her treatment at Zewditu hospital, Addis Ababa, a non-governmental organization, which  she doesn’t recall its name, arranged for her to go to Italy and get medical treatment. Meri, after having her surgery is still in a lot of medication to maintain her heart function properly. Having spent most of the past five years in hospital, Meri couldn’t continue her education. She was in 8th grade while she was sent to Italy for the surgery. Meri lives under the care of an Italian woman who took her in as her daughter.

After five years, Meri didn’t come to Ethiopia just to visit her homeland but to marry her teenage years sweet heart and a friend during the difficult season of her life.  I felt she is too young to got married and again she will have to live continents away from her husband. I asked how they kept in touch in the past five years. She said,' letters and few times phone calls.' Her eyes sparkle when she talk of her husband.  He was an employee of the NGO that sent her to Italy for medication. After 5 years, she marries the guy, and she is moving back to Italy to follow up on her medication for an amount of time she doesn't know. 

Meri was afraid she cant communicate with people at the airport. 'I cant speck English, I cant speak Italy I am so afraid,' she kept saying. I tried to comfort her that she is going to be okay. Can you speak English?' she asked me. She was so surprised that I can! 'Five years in Italy, I cant speak their language,'she says.  'Comestarie Benne you will learn soon' I said. Her eyes lighten up 'you can speck Italy you can!!!!...' no no that is the only words I know' she didn't seem to believe me. She starts talking Italian, and I had no idea what she said.

We reached the check in point; we didn't even say a proper good bye. Well that is her story as she tells it in the few minutes we met on the line.  But I know I wouldn't forget her story. And to express all her innocence and beauty I like to use this butterfly's picture  with her story:)


No comments:

Post a Comment