Monday, November 23, 2015

The big lesson I learned from the Great Ethiopian Run


photo courtesy to @melmaclaine on Twitter.jpg
I never got myself ready for anything like I did for the first Great Ethiopian Run. I remember my dad used to bang my door at 6:00 AM. I would get up excited, change into my sportswear, and we used to run from Lideta all the way to Meskel Square and back. Of course, my dad would be walking fast, and I had to run to catch up with him.

Eventually, the Great Run became something I would just do for fun. I would get the tickets at a very last minute, after making sure how many of my friends were running, so that I would have more fun. I stopped exercising to get ready for it. I didn’t aim to get a medal or finish the race. The ‘Great Run’ became the ‘Great walk.’ I would just walk along with the group, chant with those who chant, even stop to see if there is any dance show on the way. Well I, along with my friends, just did it for fun.

At some point in my life, I realized my life has become just like the Great Run. I was running aimlessly, following the crowd, in a ‘luke warm’ state of life. Of course I had some sort of purpose, I took my work and relationships seriously, but I realized what ‘intentional living’ means and that it requires more than that.  

Intentional living is about knowing why you do what you do in every detail of your life. It is to be willing to step back and evaluate the things you are doing.

The Bible tells us that we should run the race of life in such a way as to get the price, to get a crown that will last forever. Everyone who competes in the game goes into strict training.  (1Cor 9: 24-27) Paul says, I don’t run like someone running aimlessly, No I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave…
2 Tim 2:3-7 “…not entangled in civilian affairs..”

Intentional living is questioning yourself, what one thing, if I did well all year would make the most remarkable impact on my life personally and professionally. 
Successful people practice intentional calendar control in their career, school, spirituality, health, learning travel and so on.

God was detailed and intentional in creating me, Psalm 139:13-18 tells that he intricately woven knitted me together in my mothers womb, I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” He was intentional in giving His only begotten son to die for me. He is intentional in letting me live, in letting me be in the place I am at right now and so much more. And I am created in His image!

When I go through my Bible in this mindset of, I realized Jesus, the apostles and the prophets... they were all intentional in their lifestyle.The Bible talks a lot about ‘making every effort…’ (2 Pet 1:3-15, Luke 13:24-25, 2 Pet 3:14). 80% of our results came from 20% of our efforts. Imagine how effective we would be if we exert more efforts? Being faithful to God requires being faithful to our life’s major roles.

Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is insanity. It is never too late to change, to start new and to be intentional. Make a list of things you need to do differently in your everyday life, if you really want to build up yourself, taking control of thought, spiritually grow in your walk with God, grow in your business or improve your grades.

I will soon start blogging detailed blog posts on intentional living; I hope this can get you thinking…

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment